Sunday, September 11, 2011

Time to put your big girl pants on

Do you ever stop and wonder if what you're doing is all wrong?

I've been so set on public health for so long that I think I forgot why I wanted to do it in the first place. I've simply focused on what I need to do to get there. What classes I should take, what jobs I should look for.

I love infectious disease. I think they are some of the most fascinating organisms there are.

They are beautiful under the microscope.



And I love Anthropology. I love science. I love medicine. I love writing. I love demography (true nerd).

But how can I love those things once I stop studying them? Years ago when I was thinking about what I wanted to do long term, I thought if I could just be a student for the rest of my life I would be happy. I love learning. Its what motivates me, what excites me. Its what makes me feel alive.

There are so many other things I've thought of doing that I think to myself everyday I should have gotten my degree in...


I should have gotten a journalism degree because I love to write. This blog helps me realize that love.
I should have gotten a nursing degree because I could actually do public health work right now.
I should go to medical school because I love the human body.
I should study to be a doctor of osteopathy because I love the human body and the human.
I should have gotten a degree in microbiology so I could be an epidemiologist.

But I should have done more to nurture my creativity. I should have balanced hard science with art, music, fashion and design.

If I could do anything right now, I would write for a newspaper/blog/website/magazine about health and science. In a way that understands it, in a way that makes it easy to understand for people whose worst subject is science. Thats what I love about health education-I understand science, and I want to help other people understand it. And I want to do that by writing.

Hear of any jobs like that?



Yea, me neither.

I guess what I'm saying is I still love public health, but I want the delivery mechanism to be a little more non traditional.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, niche publications are growing right now--not shrinking. And you don't have to go to journalism school to become a journalist. Newspapers/blogs/etc...need people who understand topics like this so it can be explained to people. Don't know if that's helpful, but keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete